Sue Jay very nobly attended the Tangent National Conference in Torquay on behalf of Lichfield Tangent 116.
Her noblesse was rewarded by having to stand for a long time in the cold and rain on Friday night during the President’s banquet, due to a fire alarm!!
A brief summary of her report is given below:
- 4 new clubs have joined the National Association, but 27 clubs have disaffiliated, mainly due to an ageing membership
- President Jill announced that £15,000 had been raised for her chosen charity, Round Table Children’s Wish
- Candidates for posts on the National Executive spoke and the results of elections were announced before lunch
- The new Vice President is Tracey Pickin
- National subs are to be increased to £6.50
Sue spoke at the lectern in our name (wow!!) asking what the cost implications would be if Tangent were to take a more active role in planning National Conference. 41 Club would need to approve this too, but the proposal was approved.
Sue Hill was installed as the new National President for 2019-2020. Her theme for the year is “With Courage Nothing is Impossible” (a quote by Sir William Hillary, Founder of the RNLI in 1824)
Her chosen charity is RNLI – this will be jointly supported by 41 National President Andrew.
They are looking to raise £50,000 to be able to buy five rescue water crafts to be placed around the country and suitably named after 41/Tangent
Diary date for 2019: 21st September, National President’s Charity Lunch at Vale Royal Abbey Golf Club, Cheshire. £35, application form on the Tangent website
A big THANK YOU to Sue for attending Conference on our behalf.